TODAY'S QUOTE
"You cannot go into battle believing you will lose."

Akisame Koetsuji
(Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple)
Keyakizaka46
The rising queen, 'Keyakizaka46'
I am sure for those who know me, know how I am so crazy about this girl idol group. I have been following this group for quite a while, since 2017, and honestly speaking, this is the first time that I love an idol group so much, to the point that I don't even believe it myself that I actually did. Of course, I love to listen to J-pop and J-rock musics since I got into anime 13 years ago, but for an idol group, especially girls group? To be honest, I don't really fancy them much, until I found out about this group called Keyakizaka46. 

What is Keyakizaka46?

Keyakizaka46 (欅坂46) is a Japanese girl idol group, produced by Yasushi Akimoto. It was created on August 21, 2015. It is Nogizaka46's first sister group. Have you heard about the famous girl idol group called AKB48? Keyakizaka46 and Nogizaka46 (also called as Sakamichi Team) are the official rival groups to AKB48 and their sister groups that were created under the same company and produced by the same producer.

Keyakizaka46 officially debuted on the 6th of April, 2016 with the release of their hit single Silent Majority, which sold 261,580 copies in the first week, achieving the most debut singles sold by a female group in its first week. A song much unlike the usual idol fare, with the girls singing against the established authority, voicing out those that are never heard. Their songs, coupled to choregraphy sometimes elegant, sometimes aggressive, but always polished, soon gained them the title of “cool idols”. Idols who aren’t all smiles, and who actually sometimes don’t at all. 

They quickly gained a following after a more than successful launch and even participated in the Kōhaku Uta Gassen TV show (Japan's most watched annual TV show) in their first year of existence. Hirate Yurina, who has been the center of the group ever since its formation, quickly became its face as well thanks to her unrivaled expressions and overall visual power. 

Yet, they are still idols, and as such have plenty to offer as far as the sweeter side of idols goes. Handshakes, TV shows, live streams, they have everything you can expect any big shot idol group to have if you ever want to learn more about them.

What is so special about them?

The first time I heard about this idol group was when I accidentally clicked on their 'Silent Majority' music video on YouTube. At first, I do feel like they are quite different than any other japanese girl idol groups  that I know especially very different if compared to AKB48. They don't act the typical cutesy idols, their gaze are somewhat fierce (but not so much, I can tell they were rookie idols on that time), their outfit are amazing and love the military theme, the song sounds nice but its just normal, and lastly I like how they are so synchronized, which is very suitable with the military-like theme.

Then, as I read in the comment section, I got to know that it was their debut song. I was very surprised! I expected more worst from rookie jpop idols because on how the idol system in Japan, but they were actually pretty great as a rookie group. Then, I realized how the center, Hirate Yurina caught my eyes a lot more than I expected. She is very expressive that it impressed me a lot. So it intrigued me to search for the English translation for the song, and again, I am surprised how great the lyrics turned out to be. It has powerful messages, the song tells people not to stay silent about their own thoughts or dreams and to think about whether the tradition of ‘silence is a virtue’ is still applicable or not. It allows young people to think about whether they are being limited by adults and giving up on their dreams.

Somehow, along the way, I up-to-date whenever their new singles were out (Still up-to-date until today). I love them more and more. Their songs and the members inspire me a lot. Whenever I was down and feel awful, I will listen to their songs and read the translation of it, somehow it gave me hope and courage. Their songs are not your typical love and boys songs, but their songs varied from opinions, social issues, sexual harassment, self esteem, courage and more. They are telling stories, not just some fun and game.

The members? They are really great and they are very real. Though, I would say they are quite passive if we compare them to any idol groups and they are weird in their own way but very likable haha. I have gotten to know them a lot by watching their variety show called Keyakitte Kakenai and we can see that they grow so much from the moment they become idols. When they were asked why they want  to be an idol, some said they want to change, some said they want to inspire people, some said they want to grow and one of them said they don't want to go back to the past. They have their own reasons, and I hope with being as Keyakizaka46's members, they can achieve what they hope to be.

The Members

There are understudies members called Hiragana Keyakizaka46. You can see the other members here.
My favourite member is Yurina Hirate. She is very professional at such a young age. I really love how she expressed the songs when performing. You can feel the emotion just by watching her performance.


Amazing, isn't she? 

Songs

As mentioned before, their songs are really great. Their songs are story-telling songs, so some songs actually relate to each other.

 






Here are some of their songs. If you like them, check them more!


I really hope they keep being inspiring even for years ahead. So that's about the rising queen of J-pop, Keyakizaka46. Let me know what you think of them in the comment section.



Labels: , , , , , ,


new past